Monday, November 4, 2013

Celebrating the Patronal Feast at Bokaba Chapel

First an explanation: in Haiti, parishes have satellite chapels, where people gather for Mass when the pastor can come, for baptisms and weddings.  Holy Family Parish has seven chapels.  The poorest of these is Bokaba Chapel.  It is not accessible by road.  We drove about 20 minutes on a bad road and then walked the rest of the way.  For me, it was a challenging walk, since it was mostly uphill with a pretty steep grade in places and it was HOT!  I was usually bringing up the rear. 



My sedentary life style definitely caught up with me.  I wasn't sure I would be able to make it.  I began praying that I would not cause problems for the group, but they graciously waited for me when I had to stop and catch my breath.


The views were spectacular.


Finally, after climbing for almost 40 minutes (it would have been 30 if I had not needed to stop so much), we arrived at the humble chapel.




Now each chapel has a sacristan who is responsible for catechesis and for gathering the people.  Here the sacristan is pictured with Fr. KeKe.


The chapel was festively decorated.  In looking closely at the decorations, they were made out of small colorful plastic bags tied to the string that was hung throughout.  Balloons added to the festivities.


Mass began with music and liturgical dancing.


Fr. KeKe processed in sprinkling the congregation with holy water.

Then the altar, Fr. KeKe and the congregation were, what is the word? incensed?

What is deeply moving to me is experienceing this, our universal church, where we share the same liturgy, the same symbols even if our languages and cultures are very different.  Mass proceeded.  A collection was taken up.  A woman's hat was used as the basket:


An offertory procession followed with gifts of plantains and sugar cane.


A simple altar, the bread and wine, soon to be the body and blood of our Lord.



The music was simple. A cantor led, and two boys played the tambou (Haitian drums).



The congregation sat on very humble pews, fashioned crudely from wood blocks, with a narrow piece of wood forming the seat.


Fr. KeKe invited me to speak at the end of mass.  I attempted to tell them that I would tell the parish of St. Edward about them, that we at St. Edward are praying for them and we ask their prayers for us. After mass, there was a simple meal, and then more dancing, this dancing just for fun!

As usual, many people enjoyed having their picture taken.






What an incredible blessing to share Eucharist with these people!

No comments:

Post a Comment