Thursday, October 17, 2013

A walk around Cerca Carvajal

After breakfast on Tuesday October 15th, I headed for the new park and kept going straight.  About a block past the park, workers are working to install pavers on the road.  A major improvement!  I had asked Fr. KK about this, telling him that it is much more expensive in the US to use pavers than to use concrete.  He was surprised because pavers are the cheapest option here.  


I continued past the construction to a dirt road with modest homes with small gardens on either side.  I asked one woman if I could take her picture and she was happy to have me take it.


Another time, I was photographing a garden but no one was in the photo. I was asked for money.  Haitians assume that photographers are going to sell their photos and quite reasonably feel entitled to share in the proceeds.  I tried to explain that I take pictures to help people in the US understand life in Haiti.  A small group of people listened to our conversation.  They explained that they need help because life is difficult.  I tried to explain that we at St. Edward are looking for projects that will help people earn money so that  they can take care of their families.  I told them that our rabbit project was planned to do just that.  They told me that, because they are Protestant and not Catholic, they did not receive rabbits.  Sigh!  I told them that the people of St. Edward want to help all of the people in Cerca Carvajal, that perhaps they could purchase rabbits and the trainer would provide training to them.  I wish we could find a way to bring Catholics and non-Catholics together!

Here are some other scenes from my walk:


1 comment:

  1. I notice how green it is in the rainy season. And the woman's dress is such a brilliant color blue. Haiti is a very colorful place!

    ReplyDelete