Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Learning to cook sos pwa (bean sauce)

Rice with black bean sauce is one of my favorite dishes, so I asked to learn.  A woman whose name is “My Dream”, one of many cousins of Fr. Cassa came to get me.  I asked if her name was English, and she said yes.  I asked why she had an English name, she told me because her mother chose it.  When I asked if her mother spoke English, she said no!  Anyway, they were already in the process of boiling the beans.  Now I don’t know if they soaked them first or not.  After they were boiled, the beans were strained out of the water, keeping the water.  My Dream then showed me how to mash the beans with a wooden  masher. 

After mashing, the water in which the beans were boiled is added, stirred and passed through a sieve.  The remaining solids are mashed again and the process in repeated a total of three times.  The remaining solids are given to the pigs.  The sauce is then heated to boiling again (over a charcoal fire of course!).  Vegetable oil, chicken bouillon, and margarine were added.  A bunch of parsley was tied together at the stems with what looked like dental floss and added to the bean sauce.  Several habanero peppers were studded with about a dozen cloves and added to the sauce.  This was allowed to cook together.  Voila!  I also tried peeling green plantains.  They make it look so easy, but it wasn’t easy for me!  First them cut off the top, and make a slit on the concave part of the plantain.  From here it is all technique which I clearly did not master.  You have to pull the peel away from the plantain, but it is stuck pretty hard, and just kept breaking.  They, on the other hand, seemed to have no problem1

1 comment:

  1. Mwen renmen sos pwa, thanks for the tips on making it.

    ReplyDelete