Wednesday, October 16, 2013

An interesting discussion

The next morning, (Monday, Oct 14) while waiting for breakfast, several of the performing priests began a conversation about the church.  Everyone agreed that Pope Francis is doing good things for the church, especially with his emphasis on the poor.  They asked me about the church in the US.  I told them (as best I could in my broken Kreyol) that the church has some people who don’t want the church to change, and others who do.  They then asked for my thoughts on gay marriage.  I told them that God created gay people and that I personally do not have a problem with gay marriage.  They argued that there is no possibility to have children.  I argued that there are many couples who are not able to have children.  One priest seemed to at least understand my position. I tried to explain that for me, having a committed relationship where two people love each other and remain faithful to each other is what is critical in a marriage.

1 comment: